[Kde-pim] KMails HTML mails

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 12:57:11 BST 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 16:14:51 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 augustus 2008 15:41 schreef u:
>
> > You can't just remove a
> > major feature in a minor release, and I would never remove the HTML
> > function, it has too many users. Furthermore, nobody really has
> > complained yet. There is a bug report about missing linebreaks in HTML,
> > but that is it. I agree that the HTML is very crappy, but the user is not
> > going to see it anyway.
>
> That's were we don't agree. I constantly see the html rendered mails which
> look like utter crap right now. Attached is a screenshot, you should try to
> read it ;-)
>
> > That said, I would love a toCleanHtml() or something like that in
> > KRichTextEdit for better HTML than the crap QTextEdit produces.
>
> True. Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention. I was just
> wondering what was better, a (in my eyes) completely broken feature or a
> temp. disabled one. It is of course up to you to decide which one is better
> for you.

I wasn't offended, sorry if my mail sounded like that. Yes, the screenshot
looks awful. The problems are:

- The no-linebreaks bug I mentioned earlier
- KMail sending out HTML parts if the HTML toolbar is shown but no HTML
  formatting was used
- The inability of Mailody and KMail to detect quote marks in HTML text
  correctly and then color the quotes (made more complicated by the fact that
  QTextEdit adds some HTML code before the quote marks, but IMHO the quote-
  detection should work with that).
- KMail not having a "Prefer to display plain-text parts but still allow to
  display HTML-only mails" option, and Mailody also not having such an option
  (I guess)

The first seems to be an actual Qt bug, but would also be solved by the
toCleanHtml() function. The second one would need a
wasRichTextFormattingEverUsed() function in KRichTextEdit I guess.

Volunteers welcome :)

Regards,
Thomas