[Kde-pim] kabc/distributionlist: Entry class returns references

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 9 19:30:00 BST 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007 15:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Sunday 09 September 2007, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 08:55:10PM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > Are there other type of distribution lists than email? E.g. for
> > > snail mail or shipment?
> >
> > Well, that would be a distribution list with only contact
> > references in it. So any application can load such a list, find the
> > contacts which are referenced there, and extract the address or
> > telephone field.
>
> Hmm.
> If there is a need for specifying the email address, wouldn't there
> also be a need to specify which address or which telephone number to
> use since there can also be more than one?
>
> Maybe we should do an abstract base class for distribution list and
> for now one implementation for emails?

How would a distribution list used with the telephone work? Make a
conference call? Anyway, the custom field could be used for this. It is
anyway up to the application using the distribution list to make sense
of the content of the custom field.

If we want to make it really flexible there needs to be a custom field
map.

And in order to find out what is needed for a snail-mail distribution
list I'd talk to the KOffice developers since KOffice will be the
application used to create serial letters.

And instead of
> >   if it is from type contact, it provides
> >     - name
> >     - email address
> >     - custom fields

full contact information should be supported. OTOH, if we do not need
this to work without Akonadi then we can easily store all those
contacts that are not stored in the user's address books in a special
shadow address book and only use contact references. The latter
together with making "preferred email" an entry in the custom field map
would make the distribution lists truly generic. Of course, the
groupware server connector would still have to add the information from
the shadow address book to distribution lists that are uploaded to the
server, but that's an implementation detail of the connector.

> > > You're the expert :)
> >
> > No, just a lazy developer ;)
>
> Hehe

(Email) Distribution lists referencing distribution lists are very
common and would greatly simplify the maintenance of a large number of
distribution lists. I'd prefer if this was supported.

Regards,
Ingo