[Kde-pim] Non-standard IMAP flags in KMail

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 11:40:05 BST 2007

Hi,

we (KDAB) have been implemeting support for storing all message status flags
of KMail on an IMAP server that supports custom flags (such as cyrus and thus
the Kolab server). So far only standard IMAP flags (seen, answered,
important) haven been stored there. For the non-standard flags (todo,
forwarded, ignored, watched) we have been looking at what IMAP flags other
mail clients use, with the following results:

- Thunderbird uses $labelN
- Outlook 2007 is claimed to support only one flag for IMAP items, no idea if
this is correct, but it would mean there is no support for custom IMAP flags.
- there is a draft dealing with extended IMAP flags:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-03
However, this still does not cover all flags we need (watched and ignored are
missing).

Has anyone additional information on that topic, ie. which mail client uses
what additional IMAP flags?

Overall, it seems that $<name> is the "standard" way of dealing with extended
flags that have a general, not client-specific meaning. So, unless that
conflicts badly with any other client out there, I would suggest to follow
that for KMail by using $ToDo, $Forwarded, $Ignored, $Watched.

regards
Volker