[Kde-pim] kabc/distributionlist: Entry class returns references

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Sep 8 18:13:02 BST 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:57:37AM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> > Oh, boy!
> > The DistributionList and its entry is basically duplicated in
> > kdepim/libkdepim
> >
> > The one in kdepimlibs/kabc is copyrighted by Cornelius, the one in
> > kdepim/libkdepim by David.
> >
> > Is there a specific reason for this or did this happen as part of a
> > merge/move?
>
> The one in libkdepim has the same API but different storage mechanism.
> It stores the distribution list entries inside a KABC::Addressee object,
> so that it can be stored on a groupware server as normal vCard.
>
> So we should either keep both or replace the one in kabc by the one in
> libkdepim. David, any ideas?

I am volunteering to work on this, but I need directions from you guys since I
don't know all the requirements, especially regarding groupware storage.

The variant in kdepim has quite a lot of comments about hacks only necessary
until "KDE4", which means our window of opportunity is closing.

Do we know how "other" PIM frameworks handle distribution lists? Do they also
use a custom field inside a "normal" entry?

Hmm. In Akonadi a distribution list would be a collection right? Maybe it
should be up to the agent how it stores this collection, e.g. extra file,
hidden second addresbook, etc

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring