[Kde-pim] KNotes: Consolidate Copyright and License Headers

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Sep 23 18:46:10 BST 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007 12:27:52 pm Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
>  While reading through the KNotes source code I noticed that most of the
> Copyright and License headers differ quite a bit or are not there at all, I
> wanted to consolidate all the headers to something like the following.

You are basically asking if you can license all source files to  "GPL (v2+) (+Qt exception)".

The problems are:
 - 16 source files are "GPL (v2+)" without the Qt exception.
 - a couple files have no license at all.

And we have no idea what individual persons hold copyright on any
of the files because the copyright says "The KNotes Developers".

So ... you need to find out who really owns copyright on the source
files and ask them if you can change the license.  And due to
the licensing change for Qt4, I would ask to relicense to plain old GPL (v2+);
i.e. no longer any need to have the Qt exception.

How to find who holds copyright?
 - run svn log on the file and make an educated guess
 - contact the people in the AUTHORS file

-Allen

PS. kdepim has this problem all over the place