[Kde-pim] KOrganizer UI problems

Timothy Cahill tcahill at geniehomemagic.com
Sat Oct 6 19:24:07 BST 2007

On September 14, 2007,Cornelius Schumacher  wrote:
> I had a look at the current SVN version of KOrganizer and noticed a couple
> of problems (see attached screenshot):

Please excuse me in advance, if I state things that have already become well
established, as I am new to this list. I have been a Beta participant in the
development of several PIM/KM applications and I hope that I can contribute
something useful.

In the spirit of Mr. Torvald's eloquent argument for why he prefers KDE to
Gnome, I'd like to make a few remarks. As a long time user of KOrganizer, my
sense is that due to the many localities and possible range of user
preferences, one simply will not be able to come up with a one-size-fits-all
choice of sizes, abbreviations, etc. As many as is possible of the
look-and-feel items listed by Cornelius could be user-configurable options,
in the spriit of KDE's wonderful kcontrol application's Appearance & Themes
module. In fact, I would think that where-ever possible, KOrganizer ought to
look to kcontrol's settings for its defaults. and be locally overridden as
desired.

> - The buttons in the date navigator are so big due to the text that they
> make the date navigator much wider than actually needed. The width even
> varies when moving to other months because the month names are wider or
> smaller. I think it would be better to remove the texts.

If it is a matter of having or removing the texts, how about having that as a
user-option? And perhaps if the width of the date buttons varies due to the
length of individual month lables then there could be a setting to fix the
width at x size?

> - The year in the date navigator gets formatted with as "2,007". It seems
> to be generated by the generic number formatting which is not correct for
> year numbers.

The default KDE Date/Time format would be the desirable default here, but
again, having a user option to over-ride that on an as needed basis might
best serve the user's needs.

> - The toolbar moves back and forth when undoable actions are executed
> because the action name which is shown in the toolbar includes the name of
> the action (which varies in length). Maybe it would be better to only show
> "Undo" in the toolbar and use the full name with the action included only
> in the menu and the tool tip of the toolbar button.

Could the action to be undone be presented as a tool tip?

> - The multiple time zone bars in the agenda view lack an indication what
> timezone they represent. What about removing the "all day" label on top of
> the bars and show the timezones there.

Could this be a toggle that alternated between "all day" and timezone
headings?

Thanks for all the great work!

--
Timothy Cahill