[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Timothy Cahill tcahill at geniehomemagic.com
Sun Oct 21 08:08:42 BST 2007

On October 20, 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I was wondering, if it would make sense to make KDE PIM 4 installable in
> parallel to KDE PIM 3. KDE PIM and especially KMail are applications which
> users expect to be rock-solid, so there might be some users who are not
> comforable with switching to KDE PIM 4 with the 4.0 release, but still
> might want to be able to try it out or switch for some applications.
>
> What would that involve?
> - Appending a 4 to the binary name, e.g. "kmail4", "korganizer4",
> "kontact4". - Make sure that configuration and data is not conflicting. I'm
> not sure how this can be done in the best way. Switching to a different
> KDEHOME for specific applications would be a solution, but I don't know if
> that is feasible.
> - Provide some import of config and data from KDE PIM 3 to KDE PIM 4
> applications.
>
> What do you think? Any ideas how to achieve it? Is it necessary at all?

It is always nice to be able to give something a run before committing to it.
Necessary? IMO, user will be concerned first about data loss, second about
interuptions in usability, and third about the ability to make an orderly and
painless retreat if necessary. Does KDE PIM 4 change data or formats? If so,
is the change reversable? Concerns might be minimized if an intuitive KDE PIM
data backup/restore method were described as step in the migration.

If you have a widely divergent basis of KDE PIM 3 versions in use, might
maintaining all the 3/4 dependencies get complicated?

--
Timothy Cahill
Happy KDE PIM user!