[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Oct 21 03:33:33 BST 2007

I was wondering, if it would make sense to make KDE PIM 4 installable in
parallel to KDE PIM 3. KDE PIM and especially KMail are applications which
users expect to be rock-solid, so there might be some users who are not
comforable with switching to KDE PIM 4 with the 4.0 release, but still might
want to be able to try it out or switch for some applications.

What would that involve?
- Appending a 4 to the binary name, e.g. "kmail4", "korganizer4", "kontact4".
- Make sure that configuration and data is not conflicting. I'm not sure how
this can be done in the best way. Switching to a different KDEHOME for
specific applications would be a solution, but I don't know if that is
feasible.
- Provide some import of config and data from KDE PIM 3 to KDE PIM 4
applications.

What do you think? Any ideas how to achieve it? Is it necessary at all?