[Kde-pim] Porting kdepim apps from KPrinter to QPrinter

Thorsten Staerk Thorsten at Staerk.de
Sun Oct 14 08:01:48 BST 2007

> On Friday 12 October 2007 7:23:56 pm John Layt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The decision has been made to remove KDEPrint from KDE 4.0 and to switch
>> using QPrinter.  We've run out of time to fix KDEPrint and this is the
>> only
>> way to have a working print system for 4.0.  We lose many features as a
>> result, but QT 4.4 and later KDE 4.1 will see most of them restored.  We
>> are
>> planning a Dot article to explain the changes to our users.
>>
>> We are working to port all apps before the 24th October tagging of the
>> Dev
>> Platform, when we need to have moved KDEPrint to extragear.  The sooner
>> it's
>> done, the sooner we know if there's any issues to fix in kdelibs.
>>
>> The following kdepim apps need to be ported:
>>     /KDE/kdepim/kaddressbook
>>     /KDE/kdepim/knotes
>>     /KDE/kdepim/korganizer
>>     /KDE/kdepim/ktimetracker
>>
> I'm porting KOrganizer.

this is again a lot of work and I am already frustrated by the "if it
works, change it" attitude of, let's call them "the decision makers for
KDE 4". I could talk about a lot of features here that I implemented very
late because "porting work" had to be done:
- porting from automake to unsermake
- porting from unsermake to cmake
- porting from kDebug to kdDebug (ok, before KDE 4)
- porting from kdDebug to kDebug
- porting to Qt 4 (pure nonsense IMHO)

I recently had a look at the code changes since KDE 3.5 and I found it
shocking that nothing became easier, but everything became more
complicated and more difficult to understand. That code will no longer
attract newcomers.

Anyway, I am porting KTimeTracker.

Thorsten