[Kde-pim] troubleshooting tips?

Timothy Cahill tcahill at geniehomemagic.com
Tue Oct 2 18:23:39 BST 2007

Great. Thanks for helping, Will.

So far...

tcahill at suse:~> dcop kded networkstatus status
Not enough arguments (expected 0, got 0).

tcahill at suse:~> rpm -V kdelibs3
SM5....T    /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kded_networkstatus.la
S.5....T    /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kded_networkstatus.so
S.5....T    /opt/kde3/lib/libnetworkstatus.so.0.0.0
S.5....T    /opt/kde3/share/services/kded/networkstatus.desktop

Is it significant that the last four entries show S.S instead of SMS?

For kdelibs3, I have kdelibs3 = 3.5.7-79.2 at i586
The most recent addition to my kdelibs3 changelog are:
2007-09-17  stbinner at suse.de q

  - fix build for < 10.3
  - fix bug 301648: Cannot select "remote charset" in Konqueror

So I think it's fresh...

While the following reads like a linear progression, I'm actually
recursing through it as I understand more, and I'm updating this reply
to indicate my progress though the issue. With that said, based on some
info obtained from Smart package manager (referred to below), I did a
google search for "kdepim3-networkstatus 3.5.7" and found the following.
I believe the issue you were addressing back in June: Subject:  Re:
[opensuse] KDE 3.5.5 -> 3.5.7 upgrade conflict:
http://readlist.com/lists/suse.com/suse-linux-e/22/111982.html

is probably related to my issue. Because here's the smoking gun:

>From Smart, Check All Packages shows:
Unsatisfied dependency: kdelibs3-3.5.7-79.2 at i586 conflicts with
kdepim3-networkstatus-3.5.5-36 at i586

However, I don't see a more recent version of kdepim3-networkstatus, and
Smart's "fix all problems" wants to remove it.

I hadn't realized that kdepim3-networkstatus had become obsolete, and I
had been hanging on to those 3.5.5 packages, thinking they were
necessary. Yast2 hadn't been complaining about dependency issues, and it
never occurred to me to double check with Smart until now. (Smart, of
course, is another issue)

So I'm going to allow Smart to delete the offending package, and see how
that changes things. Delete. Log out. Restart X.

And... it didn't help. :(

Kmail still thinks it has checked the mail, but kdepim3-networkstatus
(-3.5.5-36 at i586 and any other version) is gone, and I'm not getting the
conflict error for kdelibs3, although I will double-check.

Wait a minute. There is a 3.5.6-80.1 at 586 version! Didn't see that
earlier, but I've just updated Smart... Upgrading....! I hope it isn't
an OpenSuse 10.3 version... I notice that Smart isn't asking to upgrade
the other 3.5.6-80.1 versions I can see.

Opps: "file /opt/kde3/share/mimelnk/application/x-sqlite2.desktop from
install of kdelibs3-3.5.7-80.1 conflicts with file from package
koffice-database-1.6.2-8.1
file /opt/kde3/share/mimelnk/application/x-sqlite3.desktop from install
of kdelibs3-3.5.7-80.1 conflicts with file from package
koffice-database-1.6.2-8.1

OK? (I wish there was an "No, not OK" button.)"

So, in for a penny, in for a pound, as somebody once said. I'm going to
install all the kde/koffice updates and see where that lands me. (If all
else fails, I've got my trusty OpenSuse 10.2 DVD ready on stand-by). I'm
hoping that my KDE system was in some intermediate state and a wholesale
update will resolve things. I will update this list with any outcome....