[Kde-pim] progress

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Oct 12 14:35:28 BST 2007

So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to portray a little bit better image of
the hard work we've done in KPilot over the last 8+ months than "probably
won't be ready".  =:)  As I explained in the e-mail I just sent, we actually
do have a pretty good story to tell, and "probably won't be ready" sounds
like KPilot won't be at all functional in KDE4.  It actually is, but we
don't have enough manpower to bring all of the functionality from KDE3
forward just yet.  So.... maybe something like this?

KPilot's hard-working team of 2.5 have been spending their time getting as
much done in preparation for KDE4 as possible.  KPilot's lib, daemon, main
UI, and configuration screens have been ported and are operational.  Due to
a very aggressive Summer of Code project and lots of Real Life (TM) thrown
in, not all of the old conduits have been ported yet, which means that
calendar, todo, and address syncing won't be functional until KDE's
4.1release.  The good news is that
3.5.8's KPilot is the most stable release to date.  The focus in KPilot for
KDE4 has been to clean up as much cruft as possible, to establish a solid
foundation that all of the conduits will now share, and to create a new
conduit in place to exercise that base code (namely, Bertjan's new keyring
conduit).

Thanks Jos!!  =:)

On 10/12/07, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK. So, what about the following text (which isn't exactly how one
> normally would write a happy release announcement, but we're FOSS, we
> want to be realistic, right?):
>

> The <a href="http://pim.kde.org/">KDE PIM</a> project has been busy
> with the new infrastructure <a
> href="http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/">Akonadi</a>, which is planned for
> KDE 4.1. Their plans for the KDE 4.0 release ranged from improvements
> (KBlog, Kalarm, <a
> href="
> http://mikearthur.co.uk/index.php/2007/08/09/korganizer-journal-improvements/
> ">KOrganizer</a>),
> behaving like KDE 3.5 (KAddressbook, KMail) to "probably won't be
> ready" (KPilot). Users would be able to use KDE PIM applications from
> the 3.5 series, which have incorporated many fixes and improvements in
> the last year, thanks to the work of the <a
> href="http://www.kdab.com/">KDAB company</a> and other developers on
> the enterprise branch. Those changes, mostly small features and many
> bugfixes, will <a
> href="http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=119205551912005&w=2">probably
> be merged back</a> into the KDE 3.5 series for a future release, and
> the branch is already shipped by default by many distributions. Of
> course, those improvements also made it into the KDE 4 versions of the
> KDE PIM applications.
>

> Now I would love some details, esp about KBlog and improvements in
> general. Even just links to a commit. Much more interesting and funny
> to read. And every other comment is fully welcome.
>
> On 10/11/07, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 October 2007 5:00:03 am Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > I haven't seen too many blogs about the KDE pim progress in beta 3.
> > > Could anyone write something about the current status and the
> > > improvements done over the last few months? Preferably in a blog, so I
> > > can link to it ;-)
> > >
> > Jos,
> >
> > An overview:
> >
> > KAlarm is moving ahead quite nicely, thanks to David.
> >
> > KOrganizer seems to be working pretty well.. I am doing
> > some cleanups to the interface and other nits.  Nothing
> > major.  There are some neat, new features in KOrg, though.
> > Maybe the folks who wrote them (Brun, Loïc) could
> > write about those features a little.   I do remember
> > a couple of blogs from Loïc.
> >
> > KMail is blocked by KSSL, which is blocking KIO::TCPSlaveBase,
> > which is blocking SMTP.  Also, IMAP isn't working.  But, Thomas
> > and others have put a bunch of work into KMail.  If SMTP
> > and IMAP were fixed I think KMail would be ok.
> >
> > Kontact also needs some love, but i doesn't seem to be that bad.
> >
> > I assume KMobiletools is operational.  I never tested it.
> >
> > Kevin has been giving KAddressbook some of his time.
> > Kevin, perhaps a status report?
> >
> > KNode... no idea. Volker?
> >
> > Akregator.. no idea.  Frank?

> [...]

-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-
-[ bash fun -> :(){ :|:&};:  //  Numbers 6:22-26 ]-