[Kde-pim] KOrganizer UI problems

Loïc Corbasson loic.corbasson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 17:44:33 BST 2007

Am jeudi 4 octobre 2007 schrieb Mike Arthur:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2007 22:13:39 Loïc Corbasson wrote:
> > I agree with you, but as Cornelius pointed out text was really not
> > practical. I suppose short month names or digits would not make the
> > date navigator more accessible to the users who may not understand
> > the meaning/action of the buttons with only the arrow icons left…
> > Do you have any icon suggestion which may indeed help them, and
> > that we may suggest to our artists? (Maybe other organizers use
> > other icons?)
>
> Presumably you meant:
> ... short month names or digits WOULD make the date navigator more
> accessible....

No, I didn't. I meant that I think that the users who would not
understand the meaning of the arrows on the sides of the date navigator
would not understand the meaning of the abbreviations. In France for
example, the abbreviations for the months are not very frequent, and
seeing the year written on two digits is rare, so I don't see these as
helping my grand-father use an electronic organizer. I'm no usability
expert though.

> I think this is the best option, 3 character month names and 2 digit
> years. Do other languages have valid short month names available?

AFAIK, most "European" languages do, even if they may be rarely seen in
some of them (e.g. French).

> As for icons, it would be a nice idea but, rethinking my suggestion,
> icons are generally bad for usability as an exclusive indicator. As a
> visual cue or function you created/assigned yourself they are great.
> However, novice users take no meaning from icons, even obvious ones
> such as printer icons so accompanying text is pretty essential.

How about writing the month and year below, unabbreviated, in smaller
characters? IMHO, horizontal space is more rare and precious in
KOrganizer's views, but taking some vertical space should be OK.

Loïc Corbasson