[Kde-pim] Drag and drop of emails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 8 23:39:34 GMT 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007, David Jarvie wrote:
> Is it possible to drag and drop emails from KMail to another
> application in KDE 4, like it was in KDE 3? I can't find any way of
> obtaining the email's body. In KDE 3, the body could be got by
> calling the DCOP function getDecodedBodyPart() in KMailIface, but
> that function doesn't appear to have been implemented in KDE 4. If
> this facility doesn't yet exist, are there plans for it to be written
> - or is it something that Akonadi will provide?

I'd say that only an identifier should be exchanged via drag&drop and
the receiving application should then fetch the message from Akonadi.

OTOH, this won't work for applications that don't understand the
identifier. A possible solution for this for arbitrary KDE applications
would be an Akonadi kioslave and the thingy exchanged via drag&drop
would be an akonadi: URL.

Of course, this won't work with non-KDE applications, e.g. you would not
be able to drag a message from KMail to the desktop of another desktop
environment.

So what are our requirements? (I guess for KAlarm any of the above
solutions would work. And I think I'd prefer the akonadi: URL
approach.)

Regards,
Ingo