[Kde-pim] Drag and drop of emails

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Nov 8 23:52:14 GMT 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2007, David Jarvie wrote:
> > Is it possible to drag and drop emails from KMail to another
> > application in KDE 4, like it was in KDE 3? I can't find any way of
> > obtaining the email's body. In KDE 3, the body could be got by
> > calling the DCOP function getDecodedBodyPart() in KMailIface, but
> > that function doesn't appear to have been implemented in KDE 4. If
> > this facility doesn't yet exist, are there plans for it to be written
> > - or is it something that Akonadi will provide?
>
> I'd say that only an identifier should be exchanged via drag&drop and
> the receiving application should then fetch the message from Akonadi.
>
> OTOH, this won't work for applications that don't understand the
> identifier. A possible solution for this for arbitrary KDE applications
> would be an Akonadi kioslave and the thingy exchanged via drag&drop
> would be an akonadi: URL.
>
> Of course, this won't work with non-KDE applications, e.g. you would not
> be able to drag a message from KMail to the desktop of another desktop
> environment.

Similar to clipboard operations, it is possible for the source application to
specific a list of possible formats it can offer the content in, usually
starting with the most native format.

An email could probably be offered as:
- an Akonadi identifier (or probably better as an URI)
- encoded in its transport form ("raw")
- formatted as the HTML the client would be using for rendering
- as plain text

Maybe as ODF when such a library becomes available and probably others I don't
know about :)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring