[Kde-pim] Palm Treo 700p redux

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Nov 16 03:24:11 GMT 2007

Hello developers,

A couple of things about KPilot that confound me, and are reproducible.
Now that I have a little more time and some decent equipment, it'd be
nice to start helping out again.

I have a Treo 700p, and the Zire/T5/etc. workaround had worked pretty
well for this particular device... two problems though:

1) After a sync, or an attempted sync, KPilotDaemon holds onto the USB
port. This means that since my device is one that drops the USB
connection when switching from sync mode to draw-power mode, it will
lose ttyUSB1 (the one that it uses) and move to ttyUSB3 when it
reconnects. Here's how it goes down:

21:57:00 Fast backup complete.
21:57:00 End of HotSync

21:57:02 HotSync Completed.
21:57:02 Next HotSync will be: HotSync. Please press the HotSync button.
21:57:12 Trying to open device /dev/ttyUSB1...
21:57:23 Cannot accept Pilot (Success)
21:57:23 Could not open device: /dev/ttyUSB1 (will retry)
21:57:36 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)
21:57:48 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)
21:58:00 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)

...and the progress bar is at 10%. At this point, any attempt to sync
will fail since KPilot has ttyUSB1 open and the phone cannot use it.

In fact, the only way to solve it appears to be to cause KPilot to hold
open ttyUSB1 as I was describing, and let the phone return to the
charging state. The phone will be using ttyUSB3. I then close and reopen
KPilot, that tries to connect to ttyUSB1 and fails and says it will
retry later because it's likely a USB device. Doing a HotSync then
causes the device to drop its connection and go back to USB1, which then
works. Doing this any other way causes KPilot to try to sync right away
when the phone is just charging (and not going to exchange any data),
which then gets in the way of a real sync.

2) I've now accidentally blanked my Treo twice. I don't know this is
because I'm a troublemaker (quite possible), but it really should NOT
happen. This appears to be the way that it happens:

a) I select "Copy Handheld to PC", knowing full well that I've just
cleaned up the stuff on my PC is either undesirable (very out of date --
so out of date that I may have formatted the phone since) or removed
entirely (I may have decided that I wanted to just start with the
Handheld data since I haven't been using KPilot).
b) KPilot sees that the Last PC is not this PC (standard if I had not
been using KPilot, since if I had any sense, I would have been backing
it up someplace -- in this case, my Windows PC at work), and since the
box regarding "Do full sync when changing PC's" is checked, it does not
do what I asked it to do (instead opting for a full sync).
c) Magic happens (I'm not sure WHY a full sync even with a blank PC
should cause the Handheld to become blank -- it didn't get the contacts
since I cancelled prior to some other happenings... not sure if it would
have blanked the whole phone).
d) My phone has no appointments and no to do's.

I now have an SD card, so I can backup my phone whenever I want. I'd
like to see if I can't figure out why both of these things are happening
and if there is any way around either one (I know the second one
wouldn't likely happen in everyday use, but it's good to avoid cases
like this where an odd circumstance will blow away your data).

Oh, and a bonus simultaneous problem: since I started playing with this
stuff again, I enabled the "Start KPilot at boot" option, wherever that
is. It also starts KMail, which is something I don't want. This time, I
forgot to close it. I'm sitting around and after awhile, I apparently
got a new message (or so Thunderbird told me, which I had open to read
mail). I went and looked and the latest message was an old message from
May 2007. I panicked, and looked at my Webmail. Luckily, the mail was
still there. I looked more closely at Thunderbird; I have it set to show
mail in the Order Received. Apparently what KMail (I think -- can't
prove it was KMail though I suppose) did was something to my mail that
caused my messages from 5/18 to 5/24 to show up as the most recently
received mail, also marking one of them new when it wasn't.

These programs starting with K are stressing me out a little. :-[
- --