[Kde-pim] Palm Treo 700p redux

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:38:31 GMT 2007

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday 16 November 2007, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>> A couple of things about KPilot that confound me, and are reproducible.
>> Now that I have a little more time and some decent equipment, it'd be
>> nice to start helping out again.
>
> Yay!
>
>> I have a Treo 700p, and the Zire/T5/etc. workaround had worked pretty
>> well for this particular device... two problems though:
>>
>> 1) After a sync, or an attempted sync, KPilotDaemon holds onto the USB
>> port. This means that since my device is one that drops the USB
>> connection when switching from sync mode to draw-power mode, it will
>> lose ttyUSB1 (the one that it uses) and move to ttyUSB3 when it
>> reconnects. Here's how it goes down:
>
> The T5 workaround is supposed to handle just that: when a device keeps a /dev
> node around but doesn't actually hotsync through it. The idea is that KPilot
> *will* drop it again. The hotsync log you show below suggests that it isn't
> doing so. Ugh.

It had formerly. It appears to have stopped somewhere between 3.5.7 and
the current version I'm running (which I apologize for not including):

Version: KPilot 4.9.2-358 (moribund alleycat)
Version: pilot-link 0.12.2
Version: KDE 3.5.7
Version: Qt 3.3.7

I don't know when it stopped working, though, as I hadn't used it much
between the two versions (if there were any versions between). The thing
about this device is that my whole life is in there, so I don't always
have a lot of desire to fool around with it day to day (unless it's a
block of time that I've set aside for fooling around where I backup, try
a bunch of things, and then restore at the end).

>> 21:57:12 Trying to open device /dev/ttyUSB1...
>> 21:57:23 Cannot accept Pilot (Success)
>> 21:57:23 Could not open device: /dev/ttyUSB1 (will retry)
>> 21:57:36 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)
>> 21:57:48 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)
>> 21:58:00 Cannot accept Pilot (No such process)
>>
>> ...and the progress bar is at 10%. At this point, any attempt to sync
>> will fail since KPilot has ttyUSB1 open and the phone cannot use it.

I'd also sort of like to know what this "Can't accept Pilot" stuff is
about, as that is new.

>> In fact, the only way to solve it appears to be to cause KPilot to hold
>> open ttyUSB1 as I was describing, and let the phone return to the
>> charging state. The phone will be using ttyUSB3. I then close and reopen
>> KPilot, that tries to connect to ttyUSB1 and fails and says it will
>> retry later because it's likely a USB device. Doing a HotSync then
>> causes the device to drop its connection and go back to USB1, which then
>> works. Doing this any other way causes KPilot to try to sync right away
>> when the phone is just charging (and not going to exchange any data),
>> which then gets in the way of a real sync.
>
> If you have your OS configured right to do hotplug events, you can get it to
> point /dev/pilot to the correct USB device when the sync starts; I just don't
> know how to do it for anything beyond FreeBSD (some people have written
> suggestions on how to do it in SuSE, check the KPilot site).

Only when the sync starts? I wonder how it would know the difference, as
it does seem to just randomly assign devices for USB otherwise
(power/sync -- doesn't seem able to tell). I wonder if the device
identifiers are different during a sync rather than during a draw of
power. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the hint though -- I
was thinking that that would at least solve the problem of it moving
around. The shame is just that it DID work most of the time before,
which required no extra mucking around. :)

> Hope that helps a little with the connection problems, at least.

We'll see. Either way, I figure with me who has a device and knows
basically what he's doing, and the developers who may or may not have a
device but certainly know what they're doing, we can probably work this
out eventually.

- --