[Kde-pim] Problem with icaltimezones being only a wrapper for libical

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed May 9 11:44:27 BST 2007

On Wednesday 9 May 2007 10:02, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Hi!
> A while ago, I tried implementing the xCalendar format (XML representation
> of a calendar to be able to apply XSL-Transformations to generate nice
> printouts
> and export to practically any format). While this works fine with kde 3.5,
> where we don't care about timezones, in 4.0 I don't have any access to the
> timezone data, as icaltimezones is just a wrapper around the libical
> objects and does not provide any interface to access the timezones.

You CAN fetch complete information for a time zone from the ICalTimeZone
class. See also the KTimeZone documentation.

> I suppose it would be cleaner to make KCal::TimeZone inherit from
> KCal::CustomProperties (or even IncidenceBase) and make it a native KCal
> class with the usual interface. That way we would also re-get a cleaner
> separation from libical (before the tz code was introduces, libical was
> only used in the icalformat, but now a lot mor depends on libical).

ICalTimeZone is inherited from KTimeZone which provides a generic
interface to time zone data. To access/write xCalendar time zone data, a
new class also inherited from KTimeZone would be needed, tailored to that
particular data source. I don't see any obvious benefit from trying to
create a KCal::TimeZone class separate from this.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.