[Kde-pim] Problem with icaltimezones being only a wrapper for libical

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Wed May 9 13:43:11 BST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007 schrieb David Jarvie:
> On Wednesday 9 May 2007 10:02, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > Hi!
> > A while ago, I tried implementing the xCalendar format (XML
> > representation of a calendar to be able to apply XSL-Transformations to
> > generate nice printouts
> > and export to practically any format). While this works fine with kde
> > 3.5, where we don't care about timezones, in 4.0 I don't have any access
> > to the timezone data, as icaltimezones is just a wrapper around the
> > libical objects and does not provide any interface to access the
> > timezones.
>
> You CAN fetch complete information for a time zone from the ICalTimeZone
> class. See also the KTimeZone documentation.

Okay, so how do I get the recurrence rule? (I need the iCal string, but if I
get all the bits and pieces, I can construct that easily).

Can one store extra entries (like comments or general X-props) into the time
zone?

> > I suppose it would be cleaner to make KCal::TimeZone inherit from
> > KCal::CustomProperties (or even IncidenceBase) and make it a native KCal
> > class with the usual interface. That way we would also re-get a cleaner
> > separation from libical (before the tz code was introduces, libical was
> > only used in the icalformat, but now a lot mor depends on libical).
>
> ICalTimeZone is inherited from KTimeZone which provides a generic
> interface to time zone data. To access/write xCalendar time zone data, a
> new class also inherited from KTimeZone would be needed, tailored to that
> particular data source.

Hmm, all I need is the exact information as it would be written (and as it is
read!) to the iCalendar file. xCalendar is basically a ~1:1 translation of
iCal into XML...

Something else (just from looking at the API docs): To get all transitions for
a given phase, is there any convenience method, or does one have to loop
manually over all phases and check the corresponding phases for each
transition?

Furthermore: What is the equivalent of iCal's TZOFFSETFROM in the
KTimeZoneData class?

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --