[Kde-pim] External dependecies for kdepimlibs/syndication

Christian Stoeckl stoeckl at frontiernet.net
Sun May 13 15:39:51 BST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a RSS kio_slave to help me manage downloading VIDEO
podcasts better. This is a very low key effort and I'm not sure if it will
result in something useful for the KDE project. I'm using the
kdepimlibs/syndication library to parse the XML files describing the feeds.
Recently someone added a new dependency to the <BOOST> library. This is a 12
MB download and takes a few hours to compile and 800 MB of diskspace. I
looked at the kdepim mailing list and found only a short mention of this
change in the archive.
I'm probably not able to contribute much to the project, but I still want to
voice my concerns over this change without serious discussions of the impact
on other projects. It does not make too much sense to me to add such a
heavyweight dependency for a few lines of code (I found only 8 *.cpp files in
syndication). Keeping the list of dependencies short lowers the barrier for
new developers to join the project and contribute, which can only be
beneficial.

Thanks for listening,

 Christian Stoeckl

p.s.: I'm not subscribing to the mailing list, if you want to contact me,
please use normal e-mail.