[Kde-pim] External dependecies for kdepimlibs/syndication

Frank Osterfeld frank at kdab.net
Mon May 14 08:25:26 BST 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007 16:39:51 Christian Stoeckl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to develop a RSS kio_slave to help me manage downloading VIDEO
> podcasts better. This is a very low key effort and I'm not sure if it will
> result in something useful for the KDE project. I'm using the
> kdepimlibs/syndication library to parse the XML files describing the feeds.
> Recently someone added a new dependency to the <BOOST> library. This is a
> 12 MB download and takes a few hours to compile and 800 MB of diskspace.

Have you checked for binary packages? apt-get install libboost-dev on
debian-based systems is much more convenient than compiling it from scratch.

> looked at the kdepim mailing list and found only a short mention of this
> change in the archive.
> I'm probably not able to contribute much to the project, but I still want
> to voice my concerns over this change without serious discussions of the
> impact on other projects. It does not make too much sense to me to add such
> a heavyweight dependency for a few lines of code (I found only 8 *.cpp
> files in syndication).

It's 74 .cpp files actually (see subdirs).

> Keeping the list of dependencies short lowers the
> barrier for new developers to join the project and contribute, which can
> only be beneficial.

boost is also used by kdepim (akonadi) and kdevelop, where libsyndication and
akonadi only use boost::shared_ptr. A compromise would be to copy the single
shared_ptr.h header to kde(pim)libs, if the boost dependency really turns out
to be a problem. As there are binary packages available for all the
platforms, maybe we just need to communicate better what's needed from the
developer to install.

Frank Osterfeld -- frank at kdab.net