[Kde-pim] 80%CPU and 46% memory used by kontact with maildir containing about 40000 messages

Jan-Pascal van Best janpascal at vanbest.org
Sun May 27 20:38:52 BST 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Jiří Navrátil wrote:
> 2007/5/2, Jiří Navrátil <jiri at navratil.cz>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had moved 10 000 messages using mutt to IMAP. After this, I have about
> > 30 000 messages (13 000 unsorted in one maildir and rest sorted in 1281
> > maildir folders)
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is no related improvement in performance.
> >
> > I noticed, that in the "root" mail folder, all maildir folders are in
> > circle touched (date / time changed). Can this be the problem?

Hi all,

I think I've been bitten by the same bug. My situation: dimap with around 20k
items, of which 3k in the subfolder used for the calendar. I use kontact
(with embedded kmail and korganizer), korgac and kpilot. I have used kontact
on another machine sometimes with the same imap account, but not lately.

The trouble started when kmail complained about a calendar entry that differed
between the cached version and the version on the server. It asked me what to
do. I thought I had edited the entry on the other machine, and told kmail to
keep both versions for all future conflicts. That was a mistake.

After a while, kmail seemed to be locked up. Eventually, I killed the process.
After that, kmail never came back up properly. I looked in the maildir on my
imap server, and found two kinds of erroneous items:
1. around 6500 messages containing only the text:
2. around 12600 copies of a single appointment from my calendar, each with
their own message ID, and with a summary with varying number of "copy of: "
prepended to it. If anyone is interested, I'll send a sample of the
duplicated by private mail.

After moving both types out of the way, kontact worked properly again.

Since then, I've had the question about conflicting calendar items one more
time. This was just after a kpilot crash while it was syncing to my Palm. I
do not remember whether that was also the case the previous time. I told it
to use the most recent version, and that seems to work.

Any ideas how to prevent this kind of trouble, which seems unrecoverable
without access to the imap server (like I had, luckily)?

Cheers

Jan-Pascal

(I use Debian on both client and server. the first time, all of KDE version
3.5.5 from Debian Etch; the second time, KDE release 3.5.7 from Debian
Unstable).