[Kde-pim] 16 Days and Counting

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 17 18:12:22 BST 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Hi PIMsters,
> >
> > We have only 16 days (by 1 June) to decide if we will release a kdepim
> > 4.0.
> >
> > IMHO we should say no... unless the status changes dramatically
> > within the next 2 weeks.
> >
> > Other opinions?
>
> Hey Allen,
>
> My vote would be that we don't have a kdepim 4.0 for exactly the reasons
> you mentioned.  I would be more concerned about our users getting a really
> bad taste from worse-than-current PIM apps ("even buggier than 3.5" doesn't
> seem a very attractive tag line for kdepim 4.0...) than about them
> complaining that it was missing entirely.

Either way will create a backlash for KDE. Not having KDEPIM for KDE4.0 is a
bit like not having kdebase.

My guess is that a large portion of the user base will remain on 3.5 for quite
some time anyway, e.g. until the first or second 4.0.x release, some even
will be waiting for 4.1

The "not release kdepim with 4.0" route has an additional issue that has to be
taken care of, i.e. _all_ distribution packagers need to know that KDE4 can
and should be installed parallel to KDE3, otherwise Murphy's law will make
sure some users will get all their KDE3 removed when testing new KDE4 stuff,
just because their packagers thought it would be better to create a package
conflict. :-/

I know that "officially" packaging isn't our concern, but experience shows
that users do not (fully) understand this concept of separated
responsibilities even if you explain it to them.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring