[Kde-pim] LDAP delete problem

Mark Swanson mark at ScheduleWorld.com
Thu May 17 16:55:47 BST 2007

Hello,

KMail is one of my favorite programs. I'm trying to get a recent version
(KMail 1.7.1, KAddressbook 3.3.1) to delete contacts in an LDAP server
and after some detailed analysis of the LDAP requests I've found a bug
in how KAddressbook makes LDAP delete requests (update requests likely
have the same bug).

NOTE: I'm the author of the (backend/auth/authz) LDAP service that's
based on ApacheDS and am more than happy to work with you folks to
provide whatever assistance you need to get this working.

The problem: KAB isn't using the DN it received from the server to
perform the delete operation. Intead, KAB is creating its own DN based
on the CN - which won't work in all cases, and will only work in cases
where the schema luckily uses this format (granted, it's common).

Here's an example.

Contact: id=123,uid=456,dc=x,dc=com

KAB successfully searches for, retrieves and displays this contact just
fine. Excellent!

However, when KAB deletes the contact it uses this DN:

cn=test,uid=456,dc=x,dc=com

Obviously, this DN doesn't exist on the server and this will fail.

With a simple fix (just use the DN the server sent you), KAB would work.
The bonus is that this will enable KAB to have full
read/create/modify/delete access to the ScheduleWorld LDAP service which
by proxy will enable KDE folks to sync their addressbooks with their
cell phones or any other SyncML device.

I'm making this request because folks using ScheduleWorld want to sync
their addressbooks with their cell phones.

If there is anyone who is interested in working with me on this please
email.

Cheers.

--
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
Free Google Calendar synchronization with Outlook, Evolution,