[Kde-pim] Akonadi datamodel questions

Christian Schaarschmidt schaarsc at gmx.de
Sat May 26 20:02:36 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 24. Mai 2007 11:20 schrieb Volker Krause:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 21:05:33 Christian Schaarschmidt wrote:
> > Am Montag, 21. Mai 2007 18:00 schrieb Volker Krause:
> > > On Friday 18 May 2007 19:38:36 Christian Schaarschmidt wrote:

[...]

> > - MimeType : Location relationShip
> >   does it indicate currently stored or possible to store mime types?
>
> the latter
>
> > - MimeType : PimItemPart relationship
> >   I guess that is needed for e.g. attached jpeg
>
> yes, although PimItemPart is not really implemented yet, see below.
>
> > - do we need to coordinate our meta data with Nepomuk project. something
> > like naming conventions, interfaces needed by nepomuk, what is stored in
> > Nepomuk DB what in akonadi server? is it possible to share the metadata
> > store ?
>
> Note that the ItemMetaData table has been dropped already. Meta data should
> be stored in nepomuk/strigi unless it's type-independent and absolutely
> necessary for eg. performance reasons to have them in Akonadi.

I was not sure if it was just missing implementation or really removed.

I have tried to put your answers into a patch. You might want to check that
before we commit it ;-)

svn status
M      storage/entities.xsl
M      storage/README
D      storage/akonadi-storage.xmi
M      storage/akonadidb.xml

> > - do you have a particular task in mind, I could start with? I'd like to
> > avoid conflicts in svn during commit ;-)
>
> Hm, some ideas are:
> - fully implement cache policies: we currently only have a very simple
> proof-of-concept implementation, so there are a lot of possibilities:
> client interface for manageing cache policies, add support for space
> limits, finish support for time limits (I think it's still too aggressive
> ;-) ), GUI elements for selecting/editing policies, ...
> - somewhat related: generic interval syncing per resource/collection
> - get the strigi/nepomuk feeders working again, they are quite old already
> and seem to need an update to the latest interfaces
I think I'll try that first.  This looks like a good exercise before looking
into XESAM

> - strigi recently got support for XESAM which is a freedesktop search spec
> including live searches. This will finally allow to implement persistent
> searches in Akonadi. Probably the most interesting task of these :)
> Other stuff that is needed on the server are item part support and conflict
> detection, but these are covered by Robert's master thesis already.

Regards
Christian