[Kde-pim] (newbie) Please suggest me a small bug to work on! I want to submit my first patch to KDEPIM!

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun May 20 11:54:31 BST 2007

Hi Manish,

> Could someone point me a small bug to work on?
> I am comfortable with Qt3/Qt4/KDElibs(3 not  4 )
Kdelibs hasn't changed drastically between 3 and 4, so that should be no
problem. An overview of the changes is at
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/KDE4PORTING.html

> I really want to contribute. If someone could please point me to small
> bite-sized bug, i'll be greatful; it'll help me get going.
We need help with general KDE 4 porting. If you start a KDE 4 application, it
shouldn't take you long to notice a bug, especially if you try as many
functions as possible.
For example:
-the layout of KOrganizer's mainwindow is broken
-dragging messages from the message list to the folder tree in KMail doesn't
  work
-creating a new contact in KAddressbook and then trying to right-click->edit
  crashes KAddressbook

Crashes are probably easiest to fix, but there are many bugs which shouldn't
be too hard to fix as well.
I suggest you pick any app which you prefer and just start fixing the obvious
bugs.

If you haven't read them already, there are some nice tutorials on KDE
techbase.
Building KDE4:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4
Using KDevelop with KDE4:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development

We are looking forward to your first patch.

Regards,
Thomas