[Kde-pim] KDE PIM and 4.0

mark at easymailings.com mark at easymailings.com
Tue Mar 13 19:34:29 GMT 2007

> Hi all,

> I was chatting with Aaron on the ev-marketing mailing list, and

> dicussing ways to stimulate interest in Kontact and KDE PIM for 4.0

> and beyond.  Some initial thoughts:

> * Call for developers (Dot and blogs)

> * Scheduling more weekend bug squashing/porting meetings (and try

> draw new people)

> * Assist in any upcoming KDE PIM/akonadi developer sprint

> * Work with comp sci departments to use KDE PIM in assignments,

> projects, thesis work, etc.

> Note the latter is a larger effort we're investigating for KDE EDU,

> KOffice and KDE PIM.  The scope could be rather large (depending on

> how adventerous we are).

> Anyway, let me know how I (and KDE promo) can help.

Is your target old dev's or new blood?

Speaking as an old dev, one huge barrier for me is having an up-to-date
kde4 dev environment.  At this point I've basically given up trying
to set that up--I'm too busy.

However, if there was a box on the net that had

(1) nx server

(2) allowed ssh key-based access only

(3) used a cronjob to keep up to date with the latest kde4 snapshot of
libs and base

(4) local copy of kde-pim for each user

then there is a better chance I would contribute.

So, to answer your question, maybe there is a company out there that would
be happy to provide a colocated server and give me a shell so I can set it
up.  Shouldn't be much bandwidth, mainly CPU and disk io.

I imagine this would be an easy on ramp for new contributors as
well.  They could even hack on KDE from the free NX windows client,
which is kind of sweet.

I think this setup could also support pair programming kinds of things,
which might also help new contributors.