[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.0

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 10:51:17 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 10:34, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 23. März 2007 schrieb David Jarvie:
>> KDEPIM doesn't have to be ABI-compatible between releases. That only
>> applies to kdepimlibs.
>
> Exactly, but that is the problem. We really, really need some good API
> cleanup
> of libkabc and of libkcal (look at all the problems we have with the
> resources system... E.g. kpilot will crash when used with the standard
> calendar, because it might be reloaded in the background, and KPilot
> cannot
> do anything -- and I really mean anything -- about it.).

I had to rewrite some of the kresources classes for KAlarm also, since
they just couldn't fit in with what it needed. It's definitely an area
where some redesign would be good. But it would be regrettable if rewrites
or redesigns prevented KDEPIM appearing in KDE 4.0. I think it would be
better to declare in advance that we intend changing the interface for
some libraries in kdepimlibs after KDE 4.0. We should list likely areas of
change so as not to disadvantage third party developers more than we need
to.

From the discussions on kde-core-devel, it looks as if there will be some
API incompatibility in kdelibs between KDE 4.0 and KDE 4.1. In which case
there shouldn't be a fundamental problem about API incompatibility in
kdepimlibs. There is too much still to be done all over KDE to avoid such
incompatibilities, unless we delay KDE4 for another year ... or two.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.