[Kde-pim] korganizer doesn't save resources immediately when changed or deleted (bug 143511)

mark at easymailings.com mark at easymailings.com
Wed Mar 28 00:52:39 BST 2007

> Re, fellow PIMsters...

> I suggest that we fix this problem by changing korganizer back to
saving

> its

> resource file (and living with the subsequent reload/reparse) on
_every_

> create, update, or delete action.  Kaddressbook does this, and while
it

> doesn't have nearly the work in the reload/reparse cycle, making

> korganizer

> behave the same way would be much more intuitive to our users, and
would

> also

> stop the data loss problems that are associated with not doing so.

+1

> I'd greatly appreciate some

> comments/concerns/discussion around this

Do some simple profiling to figure out why the heck it takes so long to
load a text file from disk.  It shouldn't take long to narrow things
down.

This should be an extremely fast operation.  A quick google shows
examples of disk access speeds that are 40 MB/sec, and that doesn't count
the benefits of caching by the OS.  It ain't disk I/O that's
constraining this process ...

My guess is there are _lots_ of "news" and "deletes"
inside loops.

If this guess is correct, then you could allocate one pool of Incident
objects at app startup that the resource framework draws from and
replenishes as it processes the file.