[Kde-pim] korganizer doesn't save resources immediately when changed or deleted (bug 143511)

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 21:32:46 BST 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> I believe that the way that things work right now (save immediately upon
> create, but delay saving on update and delete) is inconsistent and not very
> user-friendly of us.  It's also causing data loss for kpilot's users.  And

In particular, after deleting an event the file on disk still contains the
event (in undeleted state) until KOrganizer decides to re-write the resource
file -- which might be a while. Backups will be wrong and power outages will
cause data loss. Here's a little script showing how events can reappear:

# Go to a specific day
dcop korganizer CalendarIface "goDate(QString)" "2007-05-15"
sleep 3
# Add an event on that day
dcop korganizer KOrganizerIface addIncidence  'BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML KOrganizer 3.5.6+//EN
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20070327T222126Z
ORGANIZER;CN=Adriaan de Groot:MAILTO:groot at kde.org
CREATED:20070327T222126Z
UID:KOrganizer-1588864444.882
LAST-MODIFIED:20070327T222126Z
SUMMARY:Example
DTSTART:20070515T100000Z
DTEND:20070515T120000Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR
'
sleep 3
# Delete the event (use UID from above)
dcop korganizer KOrganizerIface deleteIncidence  'KOrganizer-1588864444.882'
true
sleep 3
# My .ics file happens to be called /tmp/Economic\ Indicators\ Calendar
# because of previous bug-hunting, you should adjust this to point
# to your own .ics file.
touch /tmp/Economic*
# Now wait for the deleted event to reappear.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot