[Kde-pim] Bug 128435 - patch and request for comment

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Tue Mar 6 22:45:20 GMT 2007

Hi Dima!

Am Dienstag, 20. Februar 2007 schrieb Dima Kagan:
> As a first contribution to KDE, I decided to nail down a bug that has
> been bothering me the most.

Welcome to KDE-PIM!

> Now, for details. The original code seems to ignore entirely the
> workdays settings in the configuration and instead implements a logic,
> assuming Monday is first workday and workweek is always 5 days. Both
> aren't always true, of course.

yes, that's quite a shortcoming of KOrganizer currently.

> My patch solves these problems. The workday settings are read from the
> configuration and the code works correctly with any day as week start
> day in Regional Settings and any given selection of workdays in
> Korganizer's configuration.
>
> There is one minor issue, which I've yet to figure out.
> The "Work Week View" always insists on displaying consequent workdays,
> even when it contradicts user selection.
> For example, I select Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as workdays.
> The "Work Week View" will display Monday through Friday(including
> Wednesday) as work days.

That's a design problem of the agenda view. It's only able to show consecutive
days. The main obstacle are events going over midnight (and thus being split
into several agenda items/widgets).

> I know, my code doesn't cause these since I set
> mSelectedDays specifically to workdays selected in configuration.
> This is a minor issue though, and I'm hoping my patch will make it into
> the tree and the next stable release, because it almost completely
> solves a very annoying issue which makes korganizer unusable in some
> situations.

I didn't really apply and test the patch, but I couldn't see any obvious
problems. I never liked the hard-coded 5-days workweek view at all.
Does scrolling a week/month forward work for all various numbers of working
days? What happens when the first and the last day of the week are working
days? Does KOrganizer show the whole week?

Anyway, I think the best approach right now would be to apply the patch to the
kdepim 3.5.5+ branch so it gets tested by lots of pim developers (I'm running
3.5.5+ on both my machines for daily work). Before the next 3.5.x release we
can then apply the (possibly corrected) patch to the 3.5 branch (and of
course forward-port it to kdepim4).

Cheers,
Reinhold