[Kde-pim] [Libical] libical 0.27 is now available

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon Mar 26 15:52:51 BST 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Mon, March 26, 2007 1:04 pm, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> > On Monday 26 March 2007 07:14:02 David Jarvie wrote:
> >> But before updating the USA data, Hasso's commit should be reverted. The
> >> current libical definitions in SVN (3.5 and trunk) are completely wrong
> >> for past years.
> >
> > But the largest impact of the incorrect definitions is on current and
> > future
> > events.  For example, I have been missing meetings for the last 15 days
> > because korg has shown my events an hour off (since March 11).  That
> > _must_
> > get fixed (and is the approach that Redhat has taken with
> > evolution-data-server).  If the result of that is that some past events
> > are
> > shown an hour off and only during the period between old and new timezone
> > changes, I don't care at all, and I would bet money that 95% of our users
> > won't even notice.  But I think that we absolutely must fix the current
> > and
> > future events that are off immediately and only after that try to get a
> > complete and technically correct solution which addresses the past
> > events.
>
> I wasn't saying that the USA changes should be ignored. What I was saying
> was that correct definitions of all time zones should be reinstated, and
> then the USA changes added. I agree that it's more important to ensure
> that current and future dates are correct than past ones, so I don't
> object to using the new USA definitions even if they are wrong for past
> years. But that should be an interim solution - we obviously want to use
> the correct USA definitions as soon as we can obtain them.

Ahh, gotcha.  Yes, I agree.  =:)

As an aside, from what Reinhold said earlier, it sounds like what we should
look for next is a way to convert ODB to iCalendar files to be 100% accurate.

So, Allen, how should we move forward with the timezone files?
kdepim-3.5.5+/libkcal/libical-0.27/ still is out there with the new files
from citadel....  Should we copy over only the zoneinfo/America files from
0.27 into libical (you had mentioned that other zoneinfo files had been
changed by our group and shouldn't be overlayed)?  Or...?

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-