[Kde-pim] KDE PIM for ISVs

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 15 21:55:06 GMT 2007

Hi PIMsters!

Executive summary:
at Chemnitzer Linux-Tage I attended a talk about GNUmed, a free software
aiming to manage needs of general practitioners and similar professions. On
one of the last slides the speaker noted that they would like to have some
kind of integration with KOrganizer, for example for managing appointments
with patients.

Details:
I asked the speaker, Karsten Hilbert, if he could write up some details about
their requirements, hoping that it might turn into a nice KDE related summer
of code idea.

However, the current requirements [1] do seem to be too little for an actual
SoC project, so I subscribed to the GNUmed mailinglist and inquired about
their position of a more-than-organizer integration.

I am not sure how far the KDE4 related things will be in the time frame of
Sommer of Code, but IMHO this would be a nice opportunity to proof the
viability of our platform for ISVs, i.e. having a show case of a fully
indendent software integrating with KDE infrastructor or using our
applications' IPC capabilities for interaction.

Since GNUmed is written in Python it also could serve as a show case that it
is not necessarily required to use C++ for KDE interaction/integration.

I told them (please let me know if this is wrong so I can send them correct
infos) that there are basically two options:

1) providing resource plugins for accessing PIM data stored in their
framework/database

2) let KDE PIM handle the data and delegate tasks to it (more like the
original idea they had, using DCOP for talking to KOrganizer)

For KDE4/Akonadi it should also be possible to access the data directly from
both frontends, correct?

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/MiniProjects#AnchorKOrganizer