[Kde-pim] zoneinfo in pim+

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 23:38:09 BST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 14:34:06 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 4:28:03 pm Allen Winter wrote:

> > > I find it more confusing to read through, plus it's a much bigger and
> > > unwieldy file which will take longer to process (if that matters). And
> > > there's no advantage that I can see. I'd rather use the previous
> > > version with long lists of RDATEs until such time as we can convert
> > > some of them into RRULEs.
> >
> > Ok, I put back the zoneinfo files with RDATEs.
>
> Should I merge the new zoneinfo stuff into the 3.5 branch?
> And let the distro packagers about it?
>
> I really would like Reinhold and David's blessing before doing so.

I've compared a sample of European time zone files in
kdepim-3.5.5+/libkcal/libical/zoneinfo with the pre-Hasso files. Apart from
the removal of an LMT entry starting at year 0001, which I don't think we
need to worry about, they seem to be basically the same. There are a few
small differences, many of which are for years in the 1940s, which I suppose
are probably corrections to fix erroneous data. For the most part recent
years seem to agree between the two versions. I think it's safe to assume
that there is no fundamental problem with the new files, and hopefully they
have a number of fixes in them. So I would be in favour of committing your
new files into 3.5 branch.

FWIW, the format (i.e. lists of RDATEs) is the same as the old version I
looked at.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.