[Kde-pim] Fwd: Google SoC Project Idea: Kontact Exchange

Sheldon Cumming sheldonc4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:54:29 GMT 2007

> However it is implemented, this would be great for SOC.  At our shop,
> where many of our developers use KDE, this would be a real boon.
> Perhaps the greatest impetus to convert to Gnome is the reality that
> Evolution doesn't really run to well under KDE.  And we have to use an
> Exchange for corporate messaging :(

What about Outlook Web Access? Does that work with linux browsers at
all? I haven't tried.

I hope I don't sound like a pessimist, I would like to see this work
happen, (potentially the greatest thing since sliced bread) but I
think that it likely wouldn't be completed within a summer, especially
with the changes happening to the PIM framework.

You'll have goalposts that Microsoft can move with the protocol at any
time, (2007 seems to be the year they're releasing all the fancy new
stuff) and you'll also have to fit within whatever happens to akonadi.

Also, what is the use case for this work? The maverick linux user in a
microsoft shop? Sure, I guess KDE 4 will work on Windows as well, but
if you're running windows then IT has probably put outlook on your
machine already. If IT has already made a choice for exchange, then
you'll probably run into a lot of fun ActiveX enabled pages, etc, etc,
likely the tip of the iceberg.

Great to have for sure, but it will be a challenge. As long as the
SoCer knows they may be hacking at it for a while, well, the more the
merrier :)

Cheers,
Sheldon