[Kde-pim] License change.

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun Jun 24 16:39:05 BST 2007

Hello,

> Last time I send a mail regarding such a topic I  promised myself to never
> ever try a license change again.
Thanks for not giving up. Cleaning up the library situation in KDEPIM is
important.

> We are now faced with stalled development and frustration. In particular
> kpimidentities has the interest of both Mailody and for example Kopete.
> There is also interest in all the crypto things (kleo, kgpg & co), see the
> kde-commits thread of today.  I think one the strong things within KDE is
> the level of integration. The current situation is undermining that.
>
> So I would like to know how to proceed. I see a few options:
> 1) people agree with the GPL->LGPL requests
> 2) we lift the LGPL requirement for kdepimlibs
> 3) we create a kdepimlibs-gpl with gpl libraries
>
> Personally I don't need it to be LGPL so I would go for option 2 and let
> the parties who do require LGPL to worry about needed license changes.
Even though my opinion is probably not as important as those of the others
here who are much longer involved in KDE PIM, I still like to voice my
opinion.

My prefered option is 1), but that of course needs to be decided by the
authors of those libs.

If some libs can not be relicensed, I would strongly prefer 2) over 3).
I am against creating yet another top level module kdepimlibs-gpl. Another
module just means more time and effort building kdepim for developers and
distributions. Additionally, this is confusing.

So I vote for 2). The remaining GPL'ed libs should simply be moved to
kdepimlibs. In this case, the LICENSE and README files should be adjusted so
that they clearly state which parts are LGPL and which are GPL.

But still, kdepimlibs-gpl would be better than the current situation.

Regards,
Thomas