[Kde-pim] Thread termination [was: Re: Respect the GPL! (was Re: License change.)]

Daniel Molkentin molkentin at kde.org
Sun Jun 24 19:43:26 BST 2007

Am Sonntag 24 Juni 2007 schrieb Rudolf Germer:

> > > So what's wrong about proprietary software being able to link against
> > > them?
> >
> > Because they won't give anything back. You are right, they will get money
> > for everything they code and therefore won't even give back a single line
> > of code in general.
>
> Right.
>
> Coders get the money for _their_ code. They don't get it for GNU code
> because the GNU one is free anyway. So why should they _have to_ give
> back code? They do it anyway - if they want! That's what I call freedom.
> Millions of users and companies won't give back a single line of code.
> Why should programmers be forced to do that?

Ok guys, please wrap up up right here. The reason I was asking was not because
I wanted more libraries to be LGPL or something, but because we (KDE PIM)
wanted to avoid a license mix for libraries, which we usually have very a
simple rule for: libraries must be LGPL (or more liberal).

While it would be a pitty to add a new module or soften the library policy for
one or two kdepimlibs libs, religious wars have no place in this discussion,
since a decision about "commerical development: good vs evil" has already
been made by taking over the the library policy from kdelibs.

When we decided over that policy, we wanted to allow commercial software.
Period. The question is now how to deal with libkleo, which is in fact the
only library in question after Tills clarifying mail. And that is not being
decided by religious wars, only be the simple question if we really need a
new module to make it easier for people to recognize the licence nature of
the code contained.

Cheers,
 Daniel