[Kde-pim] Thread termination [was: Re: Respect the GPL! (was Re: License change.)]

Till Adam till at kdab.net
Sun Jun 24 19:59:35 BST 2007

On Sunday 24 June 2007 20:43, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> Am Sonntag 24 Juni 2007 schrieb Rudolf Germer:

[snip]

> While it would be a pitty to add a new module or soften the library policy
> for one or two kdepimlibs libs, religious wars have no place in this
> discussion, since a decision about "commerical development: good vs evil"
> has already been made by taking over the the library policy from kdelibs.
>
> When we decided over that policy, we wanted to allow commercial software.
> Period.

Please don't confuse commercial and proprietary. Companies like KDAB do a lot
of commercial Free Software development, and a lot of commercial proprietary
development, some of it using Free Software. libkleo, which is one of the
bones of contention here, was in fact largely developed as part of a
commercial project, as you well know. And in addition to personal beliefs of
the authors, there are also solid business reasons to keep it GPL, not LGPL.,
interestingly. :)

But let's stop this thread, it's not productive.

Till