[Kde-pim] KNotes issues

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 17:42:02 BST 2007

Hi!

This is mainly for Guillermo, the new maintainer of KNotes (hooray for
maintainers!). As it doesn't hurt to have the issues visible for everyone, I
post them here.
Background: I'm messing with printing support for KNotes in the context of
KDAB's effort to get the "4" versions Kontact/Kolab working early. So,
Guillermo, you can count on me to check in working printing functionality in
the course of the next days.

KNotes has one major problem, and it's that it supports either plaintext or
rich text editing while trying to handle them almost the same everywhere.
That leads to quite some guessing (Qt::mighBeRichText()) internally, and that
is very error-prone. Especially where KCal::Journal::setDescription() is used
to store the text of notes without storing if it's rich text or not. You
always need to test if you have rich text or plaintext, and there is nothing
to remind you of that.
Now I don't think that rich text in notes is very important, and having two
modes is bad. The rich text controls are also tiny and therefore hard to use.
If I were in charge I'd always offer very minimal rich text support and
nothing more. Three font sizes, font color, bold/italic, centered/left/right
aligned. You could choose the font in KNotes' settings dialog, and maybe a
different font for printing. In that case, if somebody pastes rich text into
a note you'd have to sanitize it to fit into that "limited rich text" scheme.
Or just drop rich text.
Guillermo, you are of course free to do whatever you want - I'm just making
suggestions.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Flint Paper is insane. I really respect that.