[Kde-pim] Akonadi & QtDBus multi-threading support

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jan 28 20:00:24 GMT 2007

Hello pim-people

Two weeks ago, I had a conversation with Tobias about the necessity of
supporting multiple threads in QtDBus. The current implementation
specifically limits you to the UI event thread (the thread in which
QCoreApplication is created) to avoid issues.

In the time since then, I discussed the problem with Simon and the current
maintainer for QtDBus and we think it's possible to add this feature. I
have finished coding it in my local repository and am in the process of
testing it for any concurrency, deadlock or race conditions.

Here's where you come in: since you guys requested it, I would like to
know if you already have code that would make use of the feature (having
self-contained code would be better). I want to make some more tests with
real code to iron out the bugs. In the future, I'd like you guys to help
in testing, to make sure it works before Qt 4.3 is released.

Now, the disclaimer: Trolltech hasn't committed itself yet to adding this
feature. It depends on how complex the code ends up being.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358