[Kde-pim] kontact setup for ms exchange

Michael S. Mikowski mmikowski at valueclick.com
Thu Jan 4 21:39:56 GMT 2007

On Saturday 02 December 2006 01:59, Bas Flipsen wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I am using a kubuntu laptop computer, and want to use
> kontact as an PIM client in combination with a exchange
> server (i think its 2003). I am trying to setup but
> fail all the time. Is there a short introduction which
> explains how to setup Kontact for a MS=exchange server?
>
> Kind regards,
> Bas Flipsen (NL)

Better late than never?

* Kontact -- Exchange Support (4):

  I've always had trouble with Evolution and Kontact.
  I still need to use an RDP client for some Outlook
  tasks - specifically,
  for group scheduling.  But for daily email, ldap
  contacts, personal appointments, and reading my
  calendar, Kontact does a decent job.

  Some things are actually much faster in Kontact than in
  Outlook, such as searching messages, although
  downloading email is slower.

  UPDATE 20060916: A friend told me that Evolution has,
  well, evolved and is much better than when I last tried
  to use it (about 6mos ago).  I tried again.  On the KDE
  desktop at least, it remains buggy and prone
  to crashes.  I do really miss better calendar
  integration, but after a day of trying, I've again
  reverted to Kontact.

  Open Kontact, and ...
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Kontact
    [x] Always start with specified component <Mail>
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> "Select Components"
    [x] Calendar, News, Mail, Contacts

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail ->
    Misc, "Groupware" tab
    [x] Enable IMAP resource functionality
    [ ] Hide groupware folders
    ----
    [x] Mangle From:/To: headers...   # Outlook mangle
    [x] Send invitations in mail body # Outlook mangle

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Identities
    Click "Add" button.  Everything should be clear

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Accounts
    "Receiving" Tab
      "Add" button and select - [x] Disconnected IMAP
      In the "Add Account" dialog
        Account Name: ValueClick
        Login: yourname
        Password: yourpasswd
        Host: exchange.mycompany.com
        Port: 143
        Namespaces: (click on the 2 arrow icon)
        [x] Store IMAP Password
        [ ] Show...
        [ ] Show...
        [x] Include in manual mail check
        [ ] Enable....
      click "OK"
      "Security" Tab - use defaults
      "Filtering" Tab - use defaults
    "Sending" Tab
      Default Domain: valueclick.com
      "Add" button and select - [x] SMTP
      In the "Add Transport" dialog
        Name: ValueClick
        Host: exchange.mycompany.com
        Port: 25
        # Leave everything else as default
      click "OK"
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Security
    "Reading" Tab
      [x] Prefer HTML to plain text # security vs
convenience
      [x] Allow messages to load .. # ditto
      # Leave everything else as default
    Click "OK"

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Calender
    -> Group Scheduling
      [x] Use Groupware communication
      Mail Client - [x] Kmail

  In the Mail module (select on the upper RH side of the
window),
    File -> Check Mail # will update IMAP; will take some
time

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Accounts
    "Receiving" Tab
      Select MyCompany account and click "Modify" button
        Trash Folder: MyCompany/Deleted Items

  In the Contacts module (select on the upper RH side of
the window)
    Near the bottom RH corner of the window
      Click on "Add" button and then select "LDAP"
      In resulting form:
        Host: ldap.mycompany.com
        # Click on "Query Server" button to get server
details

        Authentication: [x] Simple

        Name: MyCompany
        [x] ReadOnly
        User: CORP\yourlogin
        Password: yourpasswd
        [x] Sub-tree query

      And Click "OK"; You should now see LDAP entries to
search through

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail ->
Misc, "Groupware" tab
     Resources folders are subfolders of: MyCompany

  In the Calendar module
  (select on the upper RH side of the window)
    Near the middle RH side, select the
     "Default KOrganizer resource"
    and then click the "Remove" button

    Click on "Add" and select
    "Calendar on IMAP Server via KMail"

    You may wish to select
       [x] Read-only
    to prevent mucking up the calendar,
    using only RDP to update it.  I find that a hassle, so
    I have this unchecked.  But beware: don't do any group
    scheduling here.

Hope that helps!  Cheers, Mike