[Kde-pim] Release Planning

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Jan 21 16:38:30 GMT 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 10:42:32 am you wrote:
> On Saturday, January 20, 2007 11:11:16 PM Allen Winter wrote:
> > Just in case you didn't know, I am the kdepim release dude for KDE4.0.
> > We are trying to get at least one release person per module, and we
> > discuss things in the release-team at kde.org mailing list, which is open
> > to anyone.
>
> Thanks for taking care of this.
>
> > I would like  to start thinking about a roadmap and milestones
> > for our module.  Nothing formal.  Nothing set-in-stone.
> > But we need to start planning.
> >
> > Here are some possible milestones:
> > - Akonadi alpha
> > - Akonadi beta
> > - Akonadi 1.0
> > - kmime library good enough to eliminate mimelib
> > - kcal library ported to Akonadi
> > - final list of applications for kdepim 4.0
> > - d-bus port complete
> > - qt4 port complete
> > - no more deprecated use
> > - apps testing
> > - KMail, Mailody, KNode,... ported to Akonadi
> > - ???
>
> Since Akonadi progress is a bit unpredictable, we IMHO need to be prepared for
> a KDE PIM 4.0 with diffrent levels of Akonadi integration. So, I think the
> best strategy would be to concentrate on the following two goals:
> 1) get KDE PIM ready for a 4.0 release without considering Akonadi
> 2) finish Akonadi and port KDE PIM as soon as useful parts are available but
> not necessarily for 4.0
>
> These goals are mostly orthogonal, which means:
> - not much duplication of work, independent of the level of Akonadi
> integration in KDE PIM 4.0, most back-end code survived the porting quite
> well, most front-end code is not affected very much by Akonadi
> - everyone can work on KDE PIM trunk, Akonadi knowledge is not required, there
> are jobs from simple porting to extensive refactoring, from bug fixing to
> implementing cool new features

Ok then. This makes sense.
So for now let's leave Akonadi out of the KDE PIM 4.0 milestones.

Which leaves these milestones:
- final list of applications for kdepim 4.0
- qt4/kdelibs4/d-bus porting (no more deprecated)
- kmime library good enough to eliminate mimelib
- opensync integration
- eliminate libkdepim / library re-organization
- apps testing
- major app features?
  + kmail/knode/akregator unification?
  + korganizer journal blogging?
  + konsolekalendar support to-dos and journal?
  + kontact planner summary?
  + etc, etc.

If this is ok, then let's proceed with Milestone1: the application list

New people Christian, Dmitry, Jonathan, Narayan, Oral, Tom (hope I didn't leave
anyone out... sorry if I did), please feel free to speak up if you have comments
or ideas.  We need your fresh input.

-Allen

--
KDEPIM Developer