[Kde-pim] Release Planning

Oral Timocin o_timocin at gmx.de
Sun Jan 21 22:33:01 GMT 2007

Am Sonntag, 21. Januar 2007 17:38 schrieb Allen Winter:

Hi,

> On Sunday 21 January 2007 10:42:32 am you wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 20, 2007 11:11:16 PM Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Just in case you didn't know, I am the kdepim release dude for KDE4.0.
> > > We are trying to get at least one release person per module, and we
> > > discuss things in the release-team at kde.org mailing list, which is open
> > > to anyone.
> >
> > Thanks for taking care of this.
> >
> > > I would like  to start thinking about a roadmap and milestones
> > > for our module.  Nothing formal.  Nothing set-in-stone.
> > > But we need to start planning.
> > >
> > > Here are some possible milestones:
> > > - Akonadi alpha
> > > - Akonadi beta
> > > - Akonadi 1.0
> > > - kmime library good enough to eliminate mimelib
> > > - kcal library ported to Akonadi
> > > - final list of applications for kdepim 4.0
> > > - d-bus port complete
> > > - qt4 port complete
> > > - no more deprecated use
> > > - apps testing
> > > - KMail, Mailody, KNode,... ported to Akonadi
> > > - ???
> >
> > Since Akonadi progress is a bit unpredictable, we IMHO need to be
> > prepared for a KDE PIM 4.0 with diffrent levels of Akonadi integration.
> > So, I think the best strategy would be to concentrate on the following
> > two goals: 1) get KDE PIM ready for a 4.0 release without considering
> > Akonadi 2) finish Akonadi and port KDE PIM as soon as useful parts are
> > available but not necessarily for 4.0
> >
> > These goals are mostly orthogonal, which means:
> > - not much duplication of work, independent of the level of Akonadi
> > integration in KDE PIM 4.0, most back-end code survived the porting quite
> > well, most front-end code is not affected very much by Akonadi
> > - everyone can work on KDE PIM trunk, Akonadi knowledge is not required,
> > there are jobs from simple porting to extensive refactoring, from bug
> > fixing to implementing cool new features
>
> Ok then. This makes sense.
> So for now let's leave Akonadi out of the KDE PIM 4.0 milestones.
>
> Which leaves these milestones:
> - final list of applications for kdepim 4.0
> - qt4/kdelibs4/d-bus porting (no more deprecated)
> - kmime library good enough to eliminate mimelib
> - opensync integration
> - eliminate libkdepim / library re-organization
> - apps testing
> - major app features?
>   + kmail/knode/akregator unification?
>   + korganizer journal blogging?
>   + konsolekalendar support to-dos and journal?
>   + kontact planner summary?

For Planner i'm working for, i would say that we are implament it first
Completely for KDE 3.x and make it Bug Free. When the Realease Date for KDE 4
is comming nearer i will Port it to QT4 and KDE 4 so that it is completely
finished for the Release. If Akonadi is finished i think there could be some
more features vor Planner that we could implement, but first the Planner must
be finished for KDE 3.5.7 maybe it could be tested by this release.

>   + etc, etc.
>
> If this is ok, then let's proceed with Milestone1: the application list
>
> New people Christian, Dmitry, Jonathan, Narayan, Oral, Tom (hope I didn't
> leave anyone out... sorry if I did), please feel free to speak up if you
> have comments or ideas.  We need your fresh input.
>
> -Allen
regards

Oral