[Kde-pim] Strange behaviour in libkdepim's KDatePickerPopup

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 08:54:51 GMT 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 13:27, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 22:17, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > Parties are either Friday or Saturday most of the time. And Monday, aka
> > the begin of the (work) week, is at least as important as the end of
> > the (work) week.
> >
> > > Well, you run into all kinds of problems with other cultures. E.g. in
> > > Israel the work week seems to be sunday to thursday.
> > >
> > > And in KOrganizer you might have configured different working days,
> > > like monday, wednesday, friday and saturday. What's the end of the
> > > work week in that case? Of course, we can't use the settings from
> > > korganizer in libkdepim's date picker, but the user expect the date
> > > picker in korganizer to honor the work week settings and use the
> > > configured end of the work week.
> > >
> > > In short, I don't see an easy way to make these hard-coded entries
> > > l10n-proof.
> >
> > If anything then I'd add the five days following today and tomorrow.
> > Then all eight days ranging from today until "next week" would be
> > easily available. Of course, that's probably too many entries.
>
> I agree that including every weekday is too many entries. After all, they
> are all selectable in the date picker anyway.
>
> Given that the whole of the current week is already displayed in the date
> picker, including end-of-work-week, end-of-week, party-days-this-week or
> any other days of particular significance in this week, it doesn't seem to
> be particularly useful to display these shortcuts in the menu list at the
> bottom. They can all be selected without having to shift the dates
> currently displayed. IMHO including these items just complicates/enlarges
> the widget for no real benefit.
>
> So I would propose removing the end-of-work-week (especially because it's
> possible to define the work week as non-contiguous blocks of days), and
> also remove the Sunday item. If we really must keep Sunday, then it should
> be renamed to "End of week" and made to recognise the user's week start day
> setting.

Since there have been no further comments, I will go ahead and remove Friday
and Sunday tonight unless somebody objects. If anybody thinks that the Sunday
entry should be retained, I would argue that because it ignores the user's
start-of-week setting, it would be preferable to remove Sunday now, and once
the message freeze is relaxed for KDE 3.5.7 to add a new "End of week"
message then. Personally, I think that "End of week" is just clutter since
the day is always visible in the date picker.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.