[Kde-pim] HTML composition in KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 22:22:46 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 19:20, Rob Hasselbaum wrote:
> On 02/22/2007 12:03 PM, Allen Winter wrote:
> > The idea I like the best is to somehow integrate a quanta editor
> > part. No need to re-invent an HTML editor.
>
> Yes, it seems the most logical approach to me. I'm wondering, though,
> if there are technical hurdles that discouraged the original author
> from going in this direction--a large refactoring effort, maybe. Is
> there a Quanta part?

A long time ago Zack has started to work on replacing the editor by a
flexible interface which would have allowed using different editors.
Unfortunately, this was never finished. You might want to have a look
at kdepim/libkdepim/komposer in SVN.

Currently, the editor widget is more or less tightly coupled to the
composer window. It will surely not be an easy task to replace it.
OTOH, I don't think there are high technical hurdles. But, of course,
one never knows for sure before one tries. For KDE 4 we should
definitely replace the current editor by an editor part, so that the
user can easily use the Quanta part if he wants a full-fledged HTML
editor.

Regards,
Ingo