[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4 Applications List

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Feb 26 22:41:08 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 17:32, Allen Winter wrote:

> IIRC, the idea was for OpenSync to replace kpilot.
> I have absolutely no problem with keeping kpilot in KDEPIM4, if you
> (the kpilot developers) want.
>
> I really don't know how kpilot, kmobiletools, opensync all play together.
> I *think* kpilot is for palm pilots, kmobiletools is for phones, and
> opensync is for ??

OpenSync and its KDE frontend KitchenSync are supposed to replace all other
syncing tools in the long term.

At the moment KitchenSync is tied to the release cycle of OpenSync, so we need
to be able to do stable releases of KitchenSync together with OpenSync
releases. That means, there needs to be a KDE 3 version until the KDE 4
platform is usable for stable releases.

As we currently don't have the resources to maintain two versions of
KitchenSync at the same time this means that we will port KitchenSync to KDE
4 once there is a stable KDE 4 release. So this could mean that we will
include KitchenSync in KDE 4.1. The connection to OpenSync could also mean
that we have to keep to release KitchenSync separately, at least until there
is a 1.0 release of OpenSync which means that there will be a stable API.