[Kde-pim] rfcdecoder move to lib?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 6 22:55:57 GMT 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 00:48, Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to use more and more of the code available in
> /kdepim/kioslave/imap4/rfcdecoder.[cpp|h]. It contains a bunch of
> static functions to convert to and from certain conventions used in
> the different rfc's. I would like to share that for KDE4, instead of
> duplicating.
>
> The only copyright holder which is mentioned in the file, is Sven, so
> I would like to ask to Sven: are you ok with a relicense to LGPL?

Pretty much all files list only a single person although multiple
persons have worked on them. You will have to ask all people who have
committed changes.
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/kioslave/imap4/rfcdecoder.cc?rev=540424&view=log
lists quite a few people whom you might have to ask. Maybe you can leave
out a few people who just made trivial commits, but everybody else you
will have to ask.

> And to you all, is that ok with you to move it to kdepimlibs and
> where should it go? kdepimlibs/emailfunctions is a candidate but
> that's a bit general for this specific imap lib.

kdepimlibs/kmime would be more appropriate. At least for the RFC
2047/2231 codecs. But doesn't kmime already include such decoders?

> Are there any other copyright holders? svn log mentions several
> people, but that's all due to porting or tiny fixes I think.

Without looking at every single change it's hard to tell whom you should
ask.

Also the code needs to be cleaned up. For example, the decoding methods
should take QByteArray arguments and the encoding methods should return
QByteArray. After all RFC 2047 and RFC 2231 encoded strings are ASCII.

And looking at (which is just a random code snippet I saw when glancing
over the code)
  signed char *latin = (signed char *) calloc (1, _str.length () + 1);
  char *latin_us = (char *) latin;
  strcpy (latin_us, _str.toLatin1 ());
makes me cringe.

Regards,