[Kde-pim] UPDATE: Venting

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Feb 14 22:56:38 GMT 2007

Op di 13 feb 2007 01:16 schreef u:
> Would anyone be interested in having a KDEPIM Bug Fixing Weekend?
> Nothing formal.  We don't need a dot story.  Just get together in #kontact
> some weekend soon and fix bugs?  Just an idea.

Yep, I'm interested in that. Actually I would make a dot-article about it. I wrote it already on IRC, that I think it might be a good idea, to organise a weekend where we can get more people interested in kde-pim work.  Those two can be combined.  At the bottom (hmm, middle), just some quickly written text we can use for announcing it.

Let me know, even when it is a rubbish text and equal idea ;-)

To succeed, i think it is crucial that some current developers/maintainers show up that weekend though....

gr.

Toma
---------------
Wanted: KDE-PIM developer/doc writer/bug handler/support engineer m/f all ages.

The kde-pim crew is proud to announce the first New Developer Intake weekend.  So how does that work? It is meant to recruit new developers. We will screen you thoroughly, ask some trick questions about your age, weight and the amount of pizza's you eat last month. If you can answer those, we can guide you into the world of kde-pim development.

So if you are able to do coding, write documentation, give users a hand or can help test your favorite kontact application, you are invited to join the #kontact irc channel somewhere in the weekend. Throughout the weekend there will be developers and other people available who can help you get started in one of those area's.  We will have tasks ready for you, so this weekend is your weekend! The ultimate chance to start returning something to KDE, whatever your skills are.

Let me quickly address what you can do for kde-pim, in random order:

User Support
There are so many questions asked by users, that it is impossible for the developers to answer it all. We need help with that. All you need to do is hangout on the irc channels, wait until some user asks a question and try to reproduce the problem and help that user to the next steps. Same goes for several mailinglists and forums. This is probably one of the most rewarding tasks, users are usually very thankfull for your help.

Write Documentation
If you want to help the users, but not so directly and you have writing skills, this is your chance. There are several new features in the recent versions of KDE that need attention. We can tell you where they are and you can help explain them in the help. It is really great to see the stuff you wrote back in the next release of KDE, I will promise that.

Testers
There is a special secret section of kde-pim where new stuff gets developed. The problem is that it is not so widely used, so it happens that some rather silly bugs end up in a release, just because we did not have time to test each corner of a new feature. So we need people who will run and test that version of kde-pim. We will help you set it up on your machine, so you can show off all those neat new features to your friends.

Coders
If you have written applications or contributed to applications and want to pick that up again, please join the kde-pim crew, we will help you to get started, ask you to do some minor hacking to get you up to speed and before you know it, you are addicted to hacking randomly in kde-pim.

Intake only? No, we want to fix some bugs as well. With a lot of the current developers around, and with a lot of help of the people joining the #kontact channel that weekend, we can close a lot of bugs, verify that it is really fixed, document it, see if it breaks something else and close all related bugs already reported.

Join us,

#kontact