[Kde-pim] [DATA LOSS] Concurrent accesses with korganizer

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Wed Feb 28 08:49:15 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've started using korganizer a few weeks ago. I'm mostly using it on
my workstation at the lab (Debian 3.1 stable), but also from home. At
the lab, I have the normal default setup
(~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics), and from home, I'm accessing
the calendar through ssh (remote calendar, which uploads and
downloads).

Now, the problem is : I often forget to close korganizer at the lab,
and when I launch it from home, I have two instances of korganizer
accessing the same file. It sometimes works fine, but I often get an
error message "could not rename partial file XXX, please, check
permissions". Now, the real problem is: I also often get my calendar
file emptied. std.ics comes back to this:

,----
| BEGIN:VCALENDAR
| PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML KOrganizer 3.3.2//EN
| VERSION:2.0
| END:VCALENDAR

`----

and all my agenda is lost. Fortunately, I have backups, but this is
really a blocking problem for me. My agenda is something very
important, and I can't afford to lose data regularly with it.

First of all: if concurrent accesses can lead to data-loss, please,
please, pleeeeease, implement a lock mechanism to prevent them. Just
an obscure error message (could not rename partial file ...) and
voila, your data is lost is terribly frustrating.

Secondly: what's the recommanded setup for my case (access from
multiple sites to the same calendar)? Indeed, the perfect case would
be an actual synchronization since I can also work offline for a
while.

Thanks a lot,

--
Matthieu