[Kde-pim] How to dailin and check for mails frequently

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 18 23:34:12 GMT 2007

Hi Michael,

The kdepim-users mailing list is much better suited for user questions
such as yours. This mailing list (kde-pim) is reserved for discussing
development issues. Therefore I move this thread over to the
kdepim-users list.

On Tuesday 18 December 2007, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like to check automatically for my mails. There for I need to
> dialin via ISDN (manually I use KInternet) and the check my mail
> account. Well manually this is no problem but how can I do this in
> KMail?
>
> There is an option to check frequently for mails but this requiers
> that an connection to the ISP is established. How can I do this
> automated?
>
> So the question is how can I a) check hourly for my mails and dialin
> before the checks and disconnect after this?
>
> I'd tend to do this scripted (though I do not know how right now) I
> recall there is/was a commandline tool called cinternet which does
> the same as kinternet but on a commandline. And well may be the
> retrieval of mails can be done via dcop?
>
> The system I have to use provides: KMail 1.7.1 on KDE 3.3.0 and NO I
> can not update.

What you can do:
- Disable any automatic mail checking in KMail.
- Run 'kmail --check' from a script to make KMail check for new mail.

Alternatively:
- Set the mail check interval in KMail to 60 minutes.
- Setup a precommand for dial-in.
Disadvantage: There's no postcommand so disconnecting after the mail
check is not easy.

3rd option (which can also be used with cron):
- Setup fetchmail and fetch all your mail with fetchmail (running
fetchmail every 60 minutes from a script e.g. via a cron job)
- Setup a local mail account in KMail.
- You could even setup a local IMAP server and make KMail access the
mail through this server. With this option you could spam-filter and
antivirus-filter your mail as well as sort your mail in different
folders before you fetch it with KMail.

Regards,
Ingo