[Kde-pim] Akonadi related questions

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Dec 5 14:11:20 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 15:28:18 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Volker Krause wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 December 2007 14:05:33 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
> > > If it is meant to be released, I recommend renaming at least the
> > > executable to akonadiclient or something similar. Currently it is the
> > > first thing which comes up on commandline completing, making it the most
> > > obvious item to start. i.e. making it look like "the" Akonadi program.
> >
> > Hm, I guess it could be useful to have something like this as an installed
> > command line tool. So, renaming is probably a good idea.
>
> I recommend we keep it "internal" for 4.0, e.g. disable it (or whatever the
> release people do in this case) and create (change it into) a proper command
> tool for 4.1

The release people haven't given much thought as to disabling individual apps
within a subproject.  But we should figure something out.

Even still, I sorta like the idea of renaming to akonadiclient (or konsoleakonadi :))

> Since we are planning on pretty much replace existing KDE PIM applications
> with Akonadi enabled newer ones, an Akonadi enabled commandline application
> core could be interesting for our current two commandline tool
> (konsolekalendar, kabcclient) as well, i.e. reimplementing them as specific
> purpose frontends.
>
> Such a core could then also be used for a "shell bindings" like tool, i.e.
> where the tools user has to understand collections and items.
>
> > It mainly has historical reasons (originally the no KDE dependency goal
> > existed for the library as well). We probably should add Akonadi debug
> > areas and start using those.
>
> I am volunteering to do this.
> Do we want the debug areas somewhere in the current KDE PIM range (5xxx)?
> When yes, where?
>
> We could probably "move" kitchensync from 5200 to 55xx (KPilot is 551x) and
> then use the 52xx range for Akonadi.

Please use 5250-5299 for Akonadi.  No need to mess with kitchensync.
dfaure wants to eventually eliminate the kdebug.areas anyhow.

-Allen